Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Serger: My best friend and worst enemy


Ok, I am so fortunate to say that I have a serger! While visiting my grandmother, I mentioned that I would be asking for one for Christmas. She said she never used the one she bought, and thus, I now have my very own overlock machine! As I drove home with the thing, my eyes glassed over with dreams of the things I would serge. I excitedly called my husband to tell him I would no longer buy clothes! The serger could do it all!!

In reality- that machine can do a lot, but it is trying to kill me in the mean time. I spent 2 hours learning the ins & outs. Threading and rethreading and then screwing something up and rethreading again. For those without a serger- threading requires patience, a steady hand, and tools.....I rarely use a pattern and you think I have the patience to use TOOLS??!

It ate my first attempt- a green pair of pants for Jake made from a $1 skirt at Goodwill. It was so cute, but in hindsight, itchy material. The pants just kept getting smaller and smaller so I just threw them up into the air and sacrificed them to the failed-sewing-attempts-god. Luckily (or stupidly) I didn't give up.

I practically spent all day yesterday making things. Pretty much a dream come true if you ask me. Enjoy the next few posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment