Friday, January 29, 2010

Curtains!



Not just any curtains, special blackout IKEA curtains! And I love love love how they turned out. I can't believe that what I wanted in my head translated into what I made. I'm used to things not quite working out how I plan so this is a little unsettling. Could I actually design something that works? Hmmmmm?

The fabric is from Ikea. It is thick, it is wide, and it has a crazy design on it. I bought 6 yards. I was able to cut a 3 yard section in half and use those on either side of the windows. (Rather than buy another 3 yards at $6.99 a yard). And the total amount covers both windows- yipee!


The only problem with this room is the amount of light. In fact, it's actually a bonus. Beautiful light comes through every morning. BUt I have a toddler that needs to nap during the day and sleep past 5am in the mornings. So I checked with Hancock Fabrics, and they have this stuff called "blackout lining." It's very heavy and a lot like vinyl. I bought 6 yards. No ifs ands or buts- this will block out the light.

It nearly killed me! The fabric was so heavy, and such large pieces! It took every pin I had in the house (which annoyed me) and a lot of time. And after I broke a needle on the serger, made a nighttime trip to the fabric store, and spent a large amount of time trying to get Jake off of my fabric, I finally finished. TA DA!!!!!

1 comment: